Here try out some workarounds hope this will help you to fix the issue:
Try to open Excel file without any add-ins or hidden workbooks:
1. Go to the Windows taskbar then click the Start button > select Run
2. And type "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.Exe" /Automation (also include the quotes) -- adapt to fit your path.
Now check the error is fixed or not, if the error disappear then the add-in or a hidden workbook is loaded with the XLS file and this is causing the problems.
• Next, try locating the XLSTART directory> move everything from there.
• In XLS: go to Tools > Add-ins > note the checked ones and uncheck them at the time, restarting XLS file
• In XLS > Tools > options > general > and check if a path is entered after "Alternate startup file location". Clear it.
You can also try another option open the XLS file in Safe mode:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Safe
Or else, you might try:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /Regserver
Hope now the error is fixed completely but if not then please inform here, I’ll provide some more fixes to troubleshoot this.